If you love entertaining guests in your home, the next upgrade you make to step it up a notch could be home made bitters to satisfy for your inner mixology pleasure. If you’re a history buff and glance at any cocktail book printed in the early 20th Century, you will most likely come across recipes that reference the use of bitters. Bitters were made using herbs and citrus fruits, and popularized as medicinal preparations to help cure various ailments.
Okay warning.. when tasted alone bitters can be pretty unpleasant hence the need to add it to your cocktail and not consume as a stand-alone drink. This early tradition provided the basis for what we know as the popular term “cock-tail”, as described in the May 13, 1806 edition of “Balance and Columbian Repository” as “a stimulating liquor composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water, and bitters.” (Credit: Oh Gosh)
Sounds dated and far-fetched… Well thanks to a partnership between William Sonoma and New York artisan distillery Dutch’s Spirits you can now own a to kit that includes everything you need to make two types of craft bitters at right in the convenience of your home within 15 days.
- Kit includes everything you need to make Aromatic and Citrus Ginger bitters, including premeasured botanicals, an infuser ball, a swing-top glass jar for steeping the botanicals in vodka and complete directions (see More Info tab for details).
- Easy to use: follow the step-by-step directions to enjoy your first batch in a matter of weeks.
- Included bottles with droppers are ideal for dispensing small quantities of your homemade bitters for cocktails and other beverages.
- Citrus Ginger botanicals blend orange peel, lemon peel, and ginger root to create a delicate bitters well suited for gin and vodka cocktails.
- Aromatic botanicals blend allspice, clove and anise seeds to produce a bold bitters perfect for bourbon and whiskey cocktails. (Credit: Williams Sonoma)